Sunday, August 22, 2010

Reading...

So, I am not a teacher by any means. I've never been one to explain something very well or sysincly, but for some reason (and probably with emence help from the hubby), Finnegan knows all of his letters and the sounds that they all make (and he has known this for 6 months or more). But within the past month or so, he's been sounding out words and "reading" them. I thought I'd blogged about the day he sounded out the letters for the word "truck" and then put them all together. I was so proud (but can't seem to find the post -- perhaps it was a picture and comment on FB). Anywho -- Finnegan's a HUGE fan of Super Why, although we only watch it on Netflix. I can't follow the TV schedule and just prefer to have him watch it when he's been a good boy, or I need to get a quick chore done. He loves to sing the songs and talks about letters ALL day long. He's LOVES it when we're at Target and he see the big "G" on the screen right before checkout.

Tonight, I was very impressed when he spelled out the letters of the word "ambulance" (seeing it in a book of course) and then sounded out the letters and repeated what the word said. He kept spelling and saying the words in the pictures. Then he began to spell the next word "flying". He said the letters and the sounds each letter makes. We asked him to put the sounds together to make the word. He burst out the word "Airplane!!" Ken said, "Close, buddy!" I just laughed inside. He's getting it, sort of!

Now, if only he could get the hang of potty training!! ;)

1 comment: