I know I haven't posted in a while, but I was in a little bit of a funk. I think I'm out of it... but we'll see. :)

Who couldn't love this face? Really! What a sweet little boy he is... well, most of the time. Especially if his sister isn't around. :) But the one thorn in our relationship is something that some mothers bring on themselves, and I am one of them... POTTY TRAINING. My sweet cherub showed signs of wanting to potty train at 25 months but I wasn't ready. He showed more signs again at 28 months. So, against my best judgement (because we were one month away from moving) we decided to go forward, knowing he'd regress and all after the big move. I marked it on the calender, May 20th... 3 weeks before our scheduled move. I know... stupid. He did well. And once we moved, we waited several weeks and then started again. We've been in MD for over 4 months, and let me tell you, the potty training HAS not been my favorite part of the moving process. When we've had guests to the house, his training has literally been thrown out the window, and we've had to resort back to diapers. Well, finally, I think we've found a stride and my sweet boy is learning to control his body and use the bathroom like the rest of society. :) And for us, the whole issue (because of the early training, non-consistent training --because of the move, my inexperience with the issue) created a potty training situation that was rooted in a control issue. Good old fashion struggle of the wills and smarts. Finnegan is such a smart boy. We knew he could go on the potty and we knew he knew how to listen to his body. And so when he would go in his pants, we could just get so frustrated. Not that he'd gone in his pants but because he literally knew "better". So in reading how to potty train a definite child (which my sweet child IS NOT -- but defiance is very much a control issue (from what I understand)) and found that one technique is to make the child feel that he has so much control in his life, that he will easily give up control of the potty and follow "protocol". And seriously, like clock work he did it! He chooses the color of his plate and cup for all meals, as well as his clothes (within reason). He chooses who gets in and out of the car first, and what he eats for breakfast and lunch. And all of the choices are between two "pre-approved" options. :)
So with much excitement we move on. He is making progress, and I am having more patience. Knowing that on some levels it is only a mind game. UGH! When did I sign up for psychology?
In other news, this is my sweet eldest, with our First EVER Muffin Tin Monday. Although it wasn't a Monday, but a Wednesday that we tried it. It was fun. He didn't eat as much of it as I thought he would -- as other parents had reported some great results of kids eating everything because it was sectioned out. But He liked it, and I'll keep trying it. If you haven't heard of this or Bento Meals, check out this blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment