Monday, August 16, 2010

Tooth Update


Howdy Readers --

It has been 6 whole days since our excitement last week with Finnegan's teeth. We're finally getting back into a routine (as we had house guest last week too). Finnegan has been less than careful with his budding teeth. It seems that since the initial trauma, his teeth have receded back into his gums even more. But I'm unsure if that is from the extra trauma he's had (he's hit his gums twice since the injury) or just swelling. He has another appointment with the dentist in 2 weeks for a follow up exam.

From what we are reading online, the suggestions of the dentist are in line with proper dental theory. His intruded teeth should begin to emerge in 2 months or so. If not, they will have to be removed. We've been encouraging Finnegan to talk his teeth down... he's so cute, and says "Come on out, teeth!"

Thanks for all the encouragement, friends. It was pretty scary. I am like any normal mom, who sometimes has the ability to over react about the smallest injury. But I've had my share of scary moments before this and have over reacted, so I've had practice to try to keep my cool. And since we were in public, that helped too! The only time that I almost lost it was when we were sitting in the ER waiting room, and Ken and Finn emerged from the bathroom (as Finn had big boy pants on and had been dry all night through all this craziness -- and still hadn't wet his pants) and Ken sat down next to me, while Finnegan walked past me and returned to his playing, Ken leaned over and told me that Finn was really sad. I asked him what he meant and he told me that while they were in the bathroom, Ken was telling him about his teeth and trying to help him understand that his teeth aren't going to back for a very long time. And Ken said he got this really sad look on his face as the reality hit him. Ken said that he didn't cry, but had this super sad face. It was then that the tears welled up in me and I was sad for my little boy as this was a tangible way that he was experiencing the reality of his consequences. More than a spanking or quiet time in his room, and more than simply a removed toy. The true consequences of mistakes, that mommy can't fix. UGH!

It was then, about 2 days later that we began to see a real smile from him. Something that I didn't realize we'd missed until it showed up again. His huge grin without restraint. What a beautiful thing. And yes, Lacey, he is a super precious boy, with or without his teeth. I was sad at first as his 3yr photos are coming up soon, and he won't have teeth. But then, I realized -- as I did with Penny's newborn photos and her tumor/teardrop, that this is who he is and this is what he looks like. And we love him regardless if he has front teeth or not. And he is super cute and sweet with out them, as he is with them. So, although we do pray for their safe arrival back to where they belong and that there won't be any damage to his permanent teeth, we also pray for NO oral surgery, and no more complications with the whole process.


This is our sweet boy after an all family birthday party with our cousins during their recent visit -- this is 3 days post accident.

1 comment:

Jenney said...

Yup, he looks like quite the sweet guy! I babysit a kid (4 years old) who doesn't have front teeth because they rotted out. His diet when he isn't with me is TERRIBLE. Be glad he isn't missing them for that reason!