Tuesday, April 6, 2010

From "Not Even Close" to "We're Done!"

Our efforts to de-clutter our lives and live leaner is a project that continues to be the first topic on our minds. Ken and I work by spending our weekends going through our belongings deciding what we can keep and what we can live without. We've been through each room in our home at least twice, and each box in the garage at least twice. The discussions are getting harder and the decisions are painstaking, now. And since these things are getting harder, it is beginning to weigh on our relationship as well. Ken wants to get rid of some things, and I want to keep them. And I'm not a debater. So when I want to keep it, I can't explain why, in terms that make sense... especially not right on the spot. So it just makes it so hard...

About 2 weeks ago, Ken said, that he didn't think we were close to being done. In fact, he thought we were about half done. Are you kidding me?? I felt that we'd been through everything and had made some good and hard decisions and I was ready for it to be over. We'd been through our keepsakes, and gotten rid of things we've been holding onto for years. I'd scanned over 2500 photos and uploaded them to the internet for safe keeping. And he was telling me that we had just this much to go before we were done. UGH!

Then this past Saturday, after I returned from the GoodWill (making our 5th trip in 2 months), Ken told me that he seemed to think we were about done. REALLY?? I was a bit gun shy at first and didn't want to believe it. There are still a few things that I'd still like to go through just one more time, as I've thought of things I'm ready to get rid of. But I can hardly believe it... We're done (for the most part). It's a wonderful feeling... and I don't mind walking through the garage and not knocking over needless things with the baby carrier or my multitude of bags :)

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Good for you all! You should have taken pics of all the things you got rid of! You have inspired me. I have went through my clothes, and hope to do some more this summer!

Jenney said...

YEAH FOR YOU!!!!
I am in the process of looking through each box I unpack and getting a HUGE garage sale pile ready. You have really inspired me. My husband is so happy to see things go, he is not a "keeper" he is a "trasher". I am so a keeper, and sentimental things are the hardest. Thanks for honesty you've shown through this process.