But, there are good days too. There are days that I get more than an hour to myself to do more than eat lunch and go to the bathroom in silence. There are days that the sun greets me in the am before my darling son knocks on my door at 6:45am (earlier than he EVER woke up in WA). There are days that I don't feel like I am alone on this side of the planet and that there are other moms who are just as alone here as I am.
The funny thing is, is that I've begun to see life here as strange. Not just because it's in a state that I've never lived but because I'm a mom here too. I'd adjusted to being a mom in WA and learned how to deal with kids in the rain, and taking advantage of playing outside between raindrops or rainstorms for that matter. I'd adjusted to the idea of doing activities in less than optimal weather (ususally on the chilly side) while in WA. But here, I've had to adjust to the other end of the spectrum.
- I have to always be prepared with a "snack" or cold drink, because when your uncomfortable due to the heat, those are the things that satisfy a toddler.
- I've learned that if I do leave the house before 11am that I WILL encounter 90degree weather and more than 50% humidity.
- I've learned that the kids MUST stay close to the car in a parking lot because the "during the day" drivers are oh to fast for a parking lot.
- I've learned that people in the grocery store are much more on either end of the "niceness" spectrum. Either they hate their lives, or they love their life so much they want to bless you! I've had so many people literally stop me in the grocery store and just chat.
- I've noticed that there are not as many "moms with kids" out during the day, as I thought there would be. Perhaps they go out later in the day than we do. Or perhaps when its cooler out.
- I've learned that churches are traditional more than they are in WA.
- I've learned that you must take a cooler with you to the grocery store if you plan to make more than that one stop. Although I've never experienced my items melting while I'm making stop number 2 or more. But, most of my cold/cool items can't even make it through the store, through check out and home before things become warm to the touch!! UGH!
- Ive learned that nap time doesn't happen because my sweet children's room face the sun, no matter what time of day it is :) (Yes, we are in the process of getting darkening shades).
Life as a SAHM in Maryland is coming along and I'm learning as I go. Its a different job here, and although I like to have a job description before I begin a new position, I'll figure it out :)
2 comments:
Erin,
Isn't it funny how life can be so different in a different state? I'm glad you're hanging in there and are willing to be honest and real. Have you guys found a church home yet?
Oh, adjusting to life in a new place can be challenging...and I haven't done it with kids yet, as we moved to CA when I was pregnant with B. I do NOT look forward to moving, making new friends for her and me, finding all the new fun places to shop/play, etc.
Post a Comment