For a couple of weeks, I've noticed that the hand towels that take up residence under my sink were just a little damp. And I thought, "Oh No!". We'd dealt this this before (in our old house) and it was short of $1000 to fix our kitchen sink and all the other sinks in the house to keep them from leaking!! But, upon more investigaging, I realized that the problems we'd experienced before, were not happening this time. So we tried a few other theories and nothing produced leaky pipes. Until one day earlier this week. I reached under the sink and found ANOTHER wet towel (after they all had been washed and replaced) and I was ready to take another look. And look what I found!!
At first glance, you might not see what I saw, but between the bottom of the drain and the silver piece, there is a BROWN piece of metal. And although I'm not that "handy" I know that metal shouldn't be brown! So I pulled the white pipe down just slightly, as I'm doing in the picture, and you can see UP INTO the drain and sink!!! The brown part is RUSTED threads of the drain that are rusted ALL THE WAY AROUND!! Holy Smokes! No wonder the towels and under the sink is wet all the time... because we put water down the sink, and the pipe is simply sitting directly UNDER the drain. So any water that misses the drain goes onto everything below! When we bought the house, we saw that the cabinet under the sink had had some water damage, but we "assumed" it's been taken care of. NOPE!!
However, luckily with the help of Facebook, I had a friend take a look at the picture and he advised how to help us, and Ken was able to remove the damaged piece, clean them all up and then make a temporary fix until it could be fixed later in the week with new parts.
No comments:
Post a Comment