Thanks, moms, for all your suggestions. I had been told about the preperation and preparing the kids for what is next, and so I tried it today, and it seems to work really well for Finnegan. I just have to remember that he needs to be prepared and to start everything ahead of time, so I'm not trying to walk out the door and he is throwing a fit!!
So, here's another question, for those of you who have older kids who sleep in toddler or big kid beds... I ask this for my girlfriend Stacy, who's having trouble keeping her daughter in her bed during nap time...
How do you get your child to stay in the bed, and not continually get out of bed to play during nap or bed time. I suggested taking the toys out of her room for a few weeks until she can understand the concept that her room is where you sleep, not play with toys. Stacy has been doing the "super nanny" approach to if she leaves her room (picks her back and explains that she needs to stay in her bed, and then each time after, there's no talking she just places her back into bed until she stays). This has been working, but now, especially during nap time, she's getting out of her bed and playing with toys rather than taking her much needed nap.
So, super-moms, any ideas?? Thanks again for all the help! I know I really appreciate the help from other mom's who have similar concepts and ideas of parenting that I do, rather than taking every suggestion I find over the internet!! :)
Appeal, For Love’s Sake
7 years ago
2 comments:
Hey Erin. I just told Jayce that if he got out of bed, he would get a spanking. I would also have him repeat it back to me, so I knew he understood. Usually, that worked. I can think of possibly 3 or 4 times that it didn't work over the past several months that he's been in the big boy bed. Tell your friend good luck from me!
Melissa
ps. I also have the crib set up in his room still and I would sometimes (back when he was first starting out in the big bed) put him in there if he wouldn't stay in bed. He was such a fan of being a "big boy" that being in the crib was heart breaking for him.
Oh, I hate to say it but spanking REALLY works well. We did do the Supernanny method, but after three times out it was a spanking...then he'd do it three times and hold his backside, so we KNEW he knew what he was doing. It didn't take long. I hate that many things go back to spanking with us, but I read a book "Shepharding Your Child's Heart". There were somethings I didn't totally agree with, but they had a step by step way to spank that totally works and leaves James and I on good terms-no pouting/screaming afterwards. Smiles and hugs. Weird, but it works. It works on the basis of we are his authority put over him by God. That God has told us he can't talk back/disobey/be defiant and if we don't spank or punish him then we are not obeying God. When he gets a spanking we always go over that. Now he knows that when he gets a spanking it is because Momma or Daddy has to obey God. he also knows that we hate spanking him and don't want to do it. man, that is a post in and of itself.
Post a Comment