Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ok, so now I feel it...

So remember when I was saying only a few days ago that I felt pretty good... Yeah, today I'm starting to feel the "pain" of the last month of pregnancy. I officially told Ken today (as I remember doing last time around) that I didn't look forward to going to bed any more. It just isn't relaxing or fun or enjoyable... Just painful, uncomfortable, and down right frustrating at times. I believe I officially waddle all the time now, and am having difficulty sitting on the floor to change Finn's diapers.

And as the countdown is now less than 30 days until our daughter arrives, I begin to panic (only slightly at first) about some of the small details that I have yet to nail down. The major one that I'm concerned with is who will take care of Finnegan when I'm in the hospital. Sure, Ken gets paternity leave, but I'd prefer he be with me at least for a little bit while I'm at the hospital. And yes, my parents are coming to help after the baby is born. But not until a week after she's arrived. My concern is not the week that she is born, or the week after she is born. My concern is the first two or three days that she's born, when I'll still be in the hospital. I can't expect my 2 year old to behave for hours within the walls of the hospital, and yet, don't want my husband away from me all day long. We have a few friends here in the area, but hate to just drop my son off on their door step and not return for several days and yet, don't feel that I can ask them to even watch him for an afternoon, cause I think to some extent it sounds selfish... Sort of like we're saying, "Here, take my older kid, because we can't handle him and the baby all at once." Does that make sense?? Sort of silly, I know. And I shouldn't be concerned about anything other than the days she's born, becasue I know that we'll figure it out... But that's just what's happening in my head.

And yet, as I'm concerned, I was reminded by a dear friend with a simple verse... "Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."

5 comments:

Lacey said...

Oh, Erin! Do NOT feel guilty for leaving Finn with someone for those few days. You NEED to have some time with just Ken and Baby Girl, and there's no way you want to have a busy toddler bouncing around your hospital room the whole time. (Of course you want him to visit and spend some time there, but not three days!) I hope your friends will recognize that you need them to pitch in, since your family is so far away. Maybe you could even have someone watch Finn during the days, and have Ken at home with him at night to sleep? Do NOT feel selfish about that, PLEASE!

I can sympathize with you, though! There seem to be many details to fret over surrounding childbirth...but your friend was right! God already knows all the details! :-)

Love you, friend!

Jenney said...

Erin! Find a friend or someone you trust from church and make the arrangements-NOW! Do not feel selfish. You (and the hospital for that matter) are not going to even want Finn there while you are a) having the baby and
b) trying to recover
Seriously, find someone who can be "on call" and make the arrangements. If someone seems hesitant, or put off...find someone else. You will feel much better if you go ahead and find someone now. Besides, I bet there will be people excited to have him for a few hours!

Jessica said...

Lacey and Jenney are right. Three differnt people from church kept Brie while I had Briar...you need time to rest and recover...Finn will be fine. Don't feel guilty, it take too much energy and you won't recover fast enough.

Phil 4:6--Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;

Aunt Beth said...

I'd be willing to take days off work. . . fly him out to me!!!

Jamie Bretveld said...

Erin, I had the same problem! I must have worried for at least 3 months over who we would "inconvenience" (possibly in the middle of the night) to take care of Micah. Lacey and Jenney are right, you cannot feel guilty and I'm sure you've made some good friends who would be willing to watch Finn.

We've made such wonderful friends at our church here. Some of them have seriously become grandparents to our children. We talked to three or four couples (they all have grown children and most of the women don't work outside the home or have flexible schedules) and asked them if they'd be willing to watch Micah when the time came. And, we also asked if they'd mind a phone call in the middle of the night. They all were SO willing to help.

You and Ken will find someone. Don't be afraid or feel bad to ask people. Start right away though, what a relief that will give you.