Wednesday, March 17, 2010

BabyWise Question

Hello BabyWise Mommas!

Background: We used the BW method with Finnegan and it worked beautifully. He was sleeping through the night by 7 weeks old and other than a normal pattern that we saw with him during growth spurts did we ever have a "problem". We used the same method with Penelope and she was sleeping through the night by 6 weeks old. Up until now, we haven't been experiencing any trouble.

Here's my question...

Penelope is 6 months old. Around about the time she was 4 months old, she would choose one day every 10 days (or so) and wakeup especially early in AM ( like after 9 hours of sleep or so). As we have worked through the past two months, she seems to be doing this more and more. From her charts (yes, I chart the WHOLE thing) :), I can tell that the pattern is getting closer and closer together, sometimes every three days or so. This week, she's done it every day. At one point I thought that it was the time change as Finnegan was consistently getting up earlier but since the time change this weekend, he's sleeping into his normal wakeup time.

My first thought from my own experience is that the daily routine must be consistent, but as you all know, with 2 kiddos, its a bit harder to have a more consistent day. I work to follow the eat, wake, sleep pattern, but there are times that her wake time goes past her nap time and she hasn't napped, and she's ready to eat again. But then after she eats, she wants to nap. And when she wakes from her nap, she doesn't want to eat, and the schedule is all backwards now.

I also find trouble as I'm using more external help to watch Penelope. So the days that those people watch her, her schedule tends to get off too. And there is just not enough day left to straighten it out... Does that make sense (or does it just sound like an excuse)?

And unfortunately, Penelope doesn't fuss unless she's extremely uncomfortable. So if she has to wait a few extra minutes to be fed, or nap, she's ok with that, and doesn't usually put up a huge fuss. And because of that, it's easy for us to get off schedule.

So, my question is... What do you think is causing her to wake up extra early on those rare occasions? Those of you with 2 or more kiddos, how did you make the BW system work when you are not necessarily on Baby's schedule?? Any tips you can share?


6 comments:

Chaeli said...

Hey girl!!
I'm no experienced mother here- but a question for you- have you tried just letting her stay awake in her crib (maybe even letting her cry) til she falls back asleep and wakes up a little later?

Erin Morgan said...

Chaeli- Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I haven't tried it for the fear that her crying will wake up Finnegan, and then I'll have 2 kids up at the crack of dawn! I may try it though if we don't see improvement soon. Thanks!

Jessica said...

Oh Erin, so sorry!!! I'm no BW mom, as you know. I still get up with my three year old in the middle of the night. But I will tell you that in all the night's I've been up--Briar usually doesn't wake up Brie--so you might want to try it. Unfortantly for me, Briar would and has cried for two hours in the middle of the night. I have to get her up, feed her, read her a story, snuggle in the playroom and then put her back to bed. So my recommendation is to NOT take advice from me!!!

Trisha said...

I struggle with letting Liv cry while Owen's taking a nap too. But she has cried a lot in the morning or at night, and Owen has slept right through it. So, hopefully Finn will too!

C said...

I have no advice as I'm the total opposite of a schedule/Baby Wiser. This post just stresses me out and makes me glad that I don't do scheduling!:) I know it works for some people though, and if it works, than kudos to you!
It just doesn't fit my personality, and I love the flexibility non-scheduling offers, and because of it, my daughter can sleep anytime, anywhere which is awesome.
Does she sleep thru the night? Not typically (though that's been changing of late), but that's not my primary parenting goal anyway.
Hope you get it figured out...those early mornings are no fun:(

Lacey said...

Erin,

I guess I qualify as a mom of more than two AND one who LOVES Babywise! Although, I feel like I don't have anything useful to add. I want to encourage you that babies go through times of less sleep, and of course times of more sleep. And sometimes we don't see a reason for it but we just have to struggle through.

Is Penelope on baby food yet? Sometimes when they get around the 6-month mark, their little bellies get hungrier and some cereal will help them sleep longer at night.

Also, I understand your fear that Penny will wake up Finn, but you might want to try letting her fuss. I was NOT excited for our kids to start sharing rooms (way back when I was preggo for Ava), for fear that they'd wake each other up...And surprisingly, they actually all sleep BETTER now that they have siblings in there making noise. They've had to learn to ignore it! It's great!

And to comment on the busyness...Trust me - I understand! It's hard sometimes to keep baby on schedule when you're chasing a toddler! I would encourage you to just be as diligent/consistent as YOUR schedule allows, and do NOT beat yourself up if you can't get it "perfect." My mantra with Babywise, ever since Grace was small, has been, "There are NO perfect Babywise babies!" Babywise has an ideal to reach toward, but at least in my house, none of my children were exactly like the ones in the book!

I think the thing I love most about Babywise (besides all the sleep I've enjoyed - HA!) is the overarching philosophy that our family is not centered around my children. They are a part of the family, but they are not the center of the universe. They will grow up understanding (as much as little people can) that they are precious little parts of our family, and they will adapt to what's best for the family.

AH - that was totally off topic!

I hope some of this has been helpful at least! You're doing a GREAT job, Erin! (And I so want to see your charts! I can't believe you do that...And yet on the other hand, it seems like something you'd do!) :-)