Thursday, May 6, 2010

Meeting Optimus Prime

On our way to Baltimore, last week, we had a layover at JFK. The flight from JFK to Baltimore started off well. We'd been told that it could be a while before we left the airport as the airport had a horrible system for selecting planes for take off (basically pulling numbers from a hat). So, while we waited and made our way to the runway, the plane drove pretty slowly around the airport. And we actually made a full circle around the particular terminal we originally boarded from. Anywho, before we were seated, a man and his son sat down behind us. The boy was by the window and he was about 6 or 7 yrs old. The dad seemed to be a young guy, perhaps in his early 30's. As we drove around, I glanced out the window as we drove by the row of large snow plows, and then sitting all by itself, a mac truck without a trailer attached. It was purple, if I remember correctly. When I saw it, I thought of Finnegan and his love for the character Mac from CARS. Then I heard the boy behind us say, "Look Dad! It's Optimus Prime!" You could really hear the excitement in his voice that he'd actually seen him. His dad's attention was caught and he began to talk to his son about it.

Son: Dad, can we meet Optimus Prime?
Dad: Sure we can.
Son: Dad, why is Optimus Prime at the airport?
Dad: Well, he's protecting the airport.
Son: From the Decepticons?
Dad: Yup, from the Decepticons. He's here making sure that we're safe at the airport.

As I heard the conversation, I just smiled. Although we all know that the transformers isn't real, it just made me smile for a minute that the dad lived in his son's world for just a few minutes and let him dream. He indulged in his son's world for just a moment. (Granted, I'm wouldn't have let my young child see a movie that is rated pg-13, but that's not the point of my post).

Indulge in the world of your child today. Entertain dreams and fantasies with them. Dream through their eyes.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

I'm going to follow you-- Added your blog to my favorites. LOVE the background!