Sunday, April 13, 2008

30 minute Sunday

A couple of weeks ago, after church, Ken and I had just put Finnegan down for a nap and I requested 30 minutes of his time. Although he was hesitant at first, he finally agreed and I was very pleased. Thirty minutes later, the dishes were done, all the toys were picked up and even the vacuum had been run. It was great! So ever since then, I have requested 30 minutes, called "30 minute Sunday". Although my husband works very hard each day at his office, my job as a house wife is never done (i know, the complaint of every mother). My husband works 5 days a week, and I work 7. Meals still have to be prepared on Saturday and Sunday, bottles still need to cleaned. Dishes begin to pile up and the toys don't ever find their way into the toybox until Monday. Ken has told me for years... "When I'm not going to school full time, then, I'll help with the house work"... "When I'm not writing my thesis, I will help with the house work"... "When we get our own house, I will help with the house work." Well, now there's no reason for him to help with the house work because we have a live in house keeper and "that's my job." But not for 30 minutes on Sunday!! :) Granted, I have to pull him out of his chair to help, but once we're done, the house is so nice. There are some installments that we work in the bedroom hanging up all of our clothes (that don't ever seem to make it to the closet) and changing the sheets on the bed and even had time to clean our bathroom, all in 30 minutes. I set a timer, so the time doesn't linger on, and we know when he has "put in his time". And I even heard this week that doing light cleaning work is good for the brain. It gives you mental stability. You should try it some time.

To top off my wonderful 30 minutes - I also enjoyed a couple of episodes of one of my favorite television programs - "Run's House" on MTV. This is a reality show about the Simmons Family. Not Russell and Kimra Lee Simmons but Joseph "Rev Run" Simmons - His brother. Rev Run is the "Run" in Run DMC. And he is all grown up. He has 6 kids and is in business with his brother Russell in NYC. It shows his family and how he "runs" his household (yes, that was a pun). He is an ordained minister and works in the fashion/music/pop culture industry. He may not have the exact same beliefs as I do, but I appreciate someone who is successful who brings up his children (three of whom are young adults) with love and discipline. He (nor his brother, Russell) hand these kids anything. Yeah, he allows them to work in the "family business" but they have to work hard just as he and his brother did to become the moguls that they are. Granted, rap isn't my favorite kind of music, but the laughter and straightforwardness that he brings to life is refreshing and enjoyable.

Now, tis time for me to return to my episodes before Finnegan is ready to be up and play some more. :) So I will sit and enjoy my "sweet tea" and "Run's house" in my clean house!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I think I love 30 minute Sunday! Great idea. My house always looks like a tornado hit it by Monday.