Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ace of Cakes

So, I have a reputation for wanting to make my own cakes for loved ones birthdays. I made two guitar shaped cakes in college for fellow classmates, and that was super fun. A couple of years ago, I made a laptop cake for Ken.





So, this year, I'm taking on two cakes. One for Ken and one for Finnegan. The cake for Ken is of the same vein as the first one that I did... It is a set of controllers for the Wii. Actually, it is controller and a nun-chuck. I'm carving them out of pound cake, and covering them with whipped cream. Then, on birthday day, we'll top them with strawberries, Ken's favorite.

For Finnegan, I'm taking this idea and making it my own. I'm doing the same shape, but not using angel food cake, but real cake in the shape of angel food cake. And then the top will be cake as well, but baked in a metal bowl so it will be taller and rounder. I am then gonna make cupcakes and spell out "Happy Birthday" on them. Finnegan's little cake will also be cupcakes (one stacked ontop of three others). I think they should turn out pretty cute. And if the big cake doesn't turn out, we'll at least have the cupcakes for everyone to enjoy!!

And as I write this, Finnegan is taking his first taste of cake, but not by my wishes. Tonight, I've carved the pound cakes for Ken's cake and have small pieces left over. I took the small pieces to Ken to munch on and Finnegan has now found them next to his daddy on the coffee table. I have some photos, I'll post later... Boys!!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Wow Erin, I can't wait to see pictures of these cakes! I always want to make cool cakes, but I just end up making regular boring ones.