Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Calm after the storm??

It has been one full day since all of our guests left and I must say that my house is still a reck! I tried to clean as much as I could before they left, as I knew that I'd still be working on it after they left! Yesterday, we pretty much just relaxation and a quick doctor's appt for Finnegan (his one year appointment). He is now 22lb 10oz heavy, and 31 inches tall... (not much of a growth since coming in a 21.3lbs and 30 inches at 9months). And he also got his MMR shot. He's actually been doing pretty well. He cried as always, cause this one is said to sting pretty bad. But was fine the rest of the night, no fever, no crying, no fussy eating. Today, he is a bit but I think its more teething than anything. We'll continue to watch him over the next week or two and I've marked my calander to remind me that I might see other side effects later.

Today, although we've had gymboree, we've just been playing with toys. I haven't really been working or cleaning (sorry, hubby). When you don't have people over very often, you forget how much it takes to prepare and entertain. And although I LOVE it, it also is very tiring to my spirit. I don't sleep well and although I've planned fully, I still get concerned that I've missed something. I need to entertian more, and then I won't feel like this.

Jenney asked how I made the cake... It was pretty simple (and I did have some cake construction help from my mom). We baked two cake mixes into a angel food cake pan and baked them until they were cooked (about an hour). We also baked 1.5 cake mixes in a metal bowl, for the top. We cooled them over night, and then frosted them with a Hungarian frosting recipe that my mom used to use for our cakes when I was a little girl. Yummy!! We frosted the bottom and put a layer inbetween the two layers. Then put the top on and frosted it. The cupcake foil is just a long piece of foil that we crimped back and forth and cut to size. I used Mike and Ike's for the sprinkles. I was gonna take a cupcake and smoosh it into a ball and frost it red, for the cherry but thought that I'd add a cupcake instead. Easy enough!!! I was really afraid that the cupcake theme was gonna be too girly, but I think that it turned out very nice for a first birthday, for a boy or girl. It would have been cute to frost the whole top blue or whatever color to match a theme, but I think it turned out cute.

Finnegan got some wonderful toys for his birthday and a few clothes items. He's not walking yet but still cruising everything. Hopefully he'll walk in a couple of weeks. We keep gently encouraging him, but we know he'll walk by the time he goes to college, so no worries :)

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: