First off, Finnegan is again signing more and more. Recently, he just signs milk, and light (which are very similar) all done, bath and more. Today, he started signing the word "please". He doesn't always sign it, but if I remind him to sign it after asking for something, he repeats the sign. Very exciting.
Also, I'll be the first one to admit that I need all the parenting advice that I can get. And most people wouldn't believe (unless you've seen it) that I have a pretty hot temper and tend to fly off the handle very easily, especially when I'm at home, and by myself. With that being said, you can imagine that moving into the "toddler" phase of my parenting journey is gonna be a rough one. Recently, I've been encouraged by my husband and a friend of some other ways that I can help to change Finnegan's behavior when he's being "difficult". Today, during lunch, he was very adimate about feeding the dogs his broccoli instead of eating it. So, I stopped what I was doing and focused only on him. Instead of raising my voice when he was doing something that I didn't want him to do, I looked right at him, spoke in a low, slow tone and explained why he wasn't to do it. Then when he ate a piece of broccoli, I was very excited and praised him for eating very nicely. Granted, I had to do this pattern several times, but I think he was getting it. Then when he was done, he looked at me and gave me the sign for "milk". I asked him if he wanted more milk and he again signed "more". So, I gave him the milk, he drank some, and then signed "all done". Oh, It was a beautiful thing. No yelling, everyone is still happy and we've moved onto the next task.
Appeal, For Love’s Sake
7 years ago
2 comments:
Well, I am reading my head off so that I can discipline my toddler in a Godly efficient way. I do not want my kids to be "those kids". Here are the four books I am currently reading:
1. Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours (Kevin Lehman)
2. Shepherding A Child's Heart
3. Raising Your Child, Not Your Voice
4. Bringing Up Boys (Dobson)
They are all by Christian authors who agree on almost everything, but come from a different angle. #1 is pretty lighthearted and practical
#2 is very good at keeping everything in a Biblical perspective
#3 I just started-not too sure the angle
#4 Focused on the special needs boys have that are different from us girls
Hope this helps! Good luck, you're just starting :o)
Usually when Brie acts out it's because she's trying to get my attention. I've learned to give her quality time so that she doesn't use negative actions to get my attention.
I have learned that consistancy is the key...If you can't be consistant on an issue than don't say no, because then they learn that mom's no isn't always final. They learn that they can get away with somethings. Also save your yelling voice for BIG issues, like the one that cause physical harm.
Post a Comment