Friday, November 7, 2008

Perhaps I was wrong...

Perhaps I chose the wrong words to explain myself the other day... grieving was probably not the right word to use... Although I went through some of the stages of the grieving process... denial, anger, physical sickness (ok, I added that one in there) and now acceptance. I think it was the grieving that anyone would do when you put your heart and soul into something and it doesn't turn out the way that you'd planned or had wanted. Not that I think the country will go to "Hell in a Handbasket" althought at the time, my emotions were telling me that... but that now I'm just disappointed. The same disappointment that the other side would have felt if they'd lost too. Also, I know that God is in control, and although I may not have seen Obama as the best candidate for the here and now, God saw him as the best candidate for the big picture... the picture I don't see. My emotions are human, and althought I'm thankful for them, sometimes I feel like Peter andI'm sure on Tuesday night I would have had no trouble drawing my sword to chop off Brian William's ear, because I didn't like what was happening... (No, I'm not making a parallel between Jesus and Obama, just making the analogy of what our emotions can do to us when we aren't thinking rationally or logically.)

In regards to reconsiling, I appreciate those of you who commented. It is always great to hear what other people have to say, especially now that my head has cleared and I'm willing to listen :) (and I apologize for not posting them earlier... the comments went into my spam box and I don't open them very often, and was surprised when I had real mail there waiting for me:) It definitely wasn't that I didn't want to post your comments, I just didn't know that they were ther :) ) Back to what we were saying. I suppose that "reconciliation" was the wrong word to use too. I've been thinking about a few things and had the pleasure of talking with another friend yesterday who had been feeling the same way that I was. It was great to hear my feelings from someone elses mouth and to hear that I wasn't the only one feeling them. Where I was coming from (whether it be wrong or right, isn't the issue, I'm just being honest) is that I had taken the fact that these friends of mine didn't vote as I did, personally... I know, a bad move to make, but I was. I was taking it as a personal hit, rather than realizing that they weren't thinking about me when they were making their vote and it wasn't against me. I was hurt, my feelings were hurt, that we couldn't see eye to eye on the political matters, especially because I thought our Biblical and worldview matters were all on the same page. I know saying it out-loud is very silly and I'm sure a few of my readers will be thinking "oh, man! She's crazy!!" But I am glad to know that those thinkings needed to be compared to rational thinking and I understand where my thinking was a bit un-rational and crazy-like. I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that we all must work together to get past our differences. Although I agree with many of the comments that were posted on this issue, I don't think that the christian response is to just let you believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe and we'll all just be happy in ignorance. I think that healthy discussion is a must (and hopefully, the time will arise when I can sit down with my friends who disagree and we can have a respectful discussion of the issues. Email is never the place for it, as I do desire to do it in love so that we can continue this journey together...email always gets ugly and nasty, because so much is lost in the translation). Healthy, respectful and quiet conversation. Each discussing the issues from our own points of view and perhaps learning from one another. No one person will come out the "winner" or "loser" but we'll discuss and debate over the things that make this vote count to us, whether that be economics, health care, military, foreign policy etc... not just aborition :)

So there you have it... perhaps I was wrong... Or perhaps my approach was wrong, seeing that I tend to do things (blog in particular) when I'm particularly amped. And I'll remind you that both of those posts that day were written about 4 times before I actually posted something. I couldn't decide what I wanted to say because I realized that I was so emotional and irrational :) Thanks for loving me for who I am and correcting me when you see fit. That's what friends are for... and that's what makes free speech so priceless.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I totally agree that ones attitude should never be "you believe what you want and I'll believe what I want". Instead ones attitude should be focused on the Great Commision (something I must admit is very hard to do), thanks for standing up for that.

BTY I knew you weren't really greiving for our country, just a little annoyed, as I was!