Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Just in case you were curious...

This article was published in the June 2009 issue of Real Simple Magazine... And just as the title suggests (of the article) I was surprised...

Calorie expenditures that may surprise you... (listed below: Activity = Calories Burned)

  • Thinking Thin = 132
  • Running your finger around the bottom of a frosted cake = 215
  • Fretting about whether or not you turned off the iron = 240
  • Thumbing through a fitness magazine = 273
  • Cleaning out your email inbox = 339
  • Opening a bottle of wine = 406
  • Waiting on hold with customer service for 20 minutes = 482
  • Opening your child's plastic-wrapped Happy Meal toy = 516
  • Restraining your hand from reaching into a chip bowl = 602
  • Scooping very cold ice cream = 655
  • Scooping cold ice cream while fending off three children = 727
  • Pacing in front of the pantry door = 826
  • Organizing a dinner party in less than 24 hours = 1071
  • Juggling seven grocery bags, the mail, and your keys = 1149
  • Taking off a wet swimsuit = 1500
After reading and typing this, I have to disagree with everything that's printed here. Either the calories burned are by someone who's GIGANTIC, or has HUGE muscle mass. Seeing that if I walk on a treadmill for an hour, I only burn about 150 calories, but standing in front of the pantry door and pacing burns 826??? WHAT??? That's not right!! I should weigh just over 100lbs if that was the case!!

Hope you had a good laugh!

3 comments:

Jenney said...

Um, Yeah, their findings are definately OFF. Too bad though, huh?

Jessica said...

Ha--Yeah right!

Andrea said...

I wish. I so wish.