Friday, July 31, 2009

Today, I was not a good Mommy!

The heat has lessened today and so Finn and I decided to venture out again for a quick trip to the mall. I made my normal stop at the Gymboree store, as I had a coupon to use and a few things I wanted to add to the kids wardrobes. As usual, I walked in and parked Finnegan by the TV so he could watch the GYM-TV that they play. No biggie - I had to just pick up a few thing, pay for them, and we'd be off. I picked out the things that I wanted, and then needed Finnegan to stand up so I could size a shirt... You know the dilemma... Should I get the 18-24 months shirt or 2T?? Come to find out, I should get the 18-24 months. Finnegan didn't want to sit back in his stroller, as it is unusual for him to be "let out" of the stroller while in the mall and not at the play area. So, I consented, in order to avoid a huge scene at the store. I told him to sit and watch the TV, mommy would go pay for her things and be back and we would leave in 2 minutes.

I paid for my items and as I was walking back to the rejoin my patient son back at the TV, I heard a little boy (about 8 years old) say "A little boy was trying to steal this from the store" as he held up a little chair that should be in front of the TV. Just then, I looked down and Finnegan was NOT in front of the TV as he should have been. HE WAS GONE!!! I said, 'That's my son!!"

I ran out into the open mall, and where the store is located is a large cross roads for the mall... which direction did he go?? Oh my Goodness!! Then, I saw him! He was on the complete other side of the open area, just running around. No one was concerned that a little boy was running through the open crowds alone or noticed that no one was running after him. I spotted him and began running. And of course, not wearing the appropriate clothes for physical activity, my pants began to fall past my belly and rump. I caught them before they fell completely past my hips, but not much. Just then I scooped up my little boy who was just running with pure freedome in his eyes. He was caught off guard and began to cry and kick his legs. I tried to stay calm and not yell at him but explain that he left the store without mommy and that was not allowed. I returned to the store, so ashamed that I'd not looked after my child as I should have. Oh, the lessons that we learn, and the ways we must learn them... And today, I learned that my child will NEVER get out of the stroller while in the mall, EVER!!!

4 comments:

The Blanchards said...

Yikes!! First of all, I'm so glad Finn was okay and that you found him right away. Second of all, for your sake, I'm glad your pants stayed up! :)

Jenney said...

I hope you have purchased a Sit N Stand for when the new little one arrives cause then you'll have 2 to push around! So glad he is ok! Stuff like that happens, you are not a bad mom! This year I "lost" James on purpose in Wal-Mart to teach him to walk with me. I knew exactly where he was, and even informed a couple of people around him of the situation. He had wandered away from me several times and I had had it. The next time he walked away from me, I walked around a display where he couldn't see me and waited for him to freak out. He flipped. I waited about 30 seconds for him to get really scared and then went back to him. I explained that he HAD to stay with me, and he hasn't done it since. I let other people around know so they didn't think I was nuts or try to contact a manager about the little boy freaking out in the flip flop isle. Those people probably though I was a bad mommy!

Adminswife said...

How scary! FYI: We "lost" Luke near the same age as Finn. He was playing in the racks of clothes, next thing we new - he was three stores down the mall. Never again did we leave the children alone. Not even for surgeries - I sit right behind them and feel like losing my lunch, but I make it! (This is Luke's mom)

Andrea said...

Isn't it so hard to feel that tug between wanting to strangle them because you're frustrated and yet cry and hold them and never let go because you're just glad they're ok? Noah gave me a near heart attack last year in Meijer. Now he has to either ride on the benches that are attached or hold on to the cart with one hand - I don't even try to take them to the mall with me anymore.