So for all you mom's out there, here are a few questions I've been toying with. Do you have a babysitter for you little one? If so, how old is she? What qualifications do you use in choosing a babysitter?
Here's my reasoning, and perhaps you can comment on these as well. I have found a gal that goes to our church who works in the nursery. Finnegan is 1 year old and pretty mobile (although, not walking yet). The gal from our church is 12 years old and interested in watching Finnegan from time to time. Most likely, she would only watch him for an hour or two (and then put him to bed), while Ken and I go out to dinner or a movie. How do I know that she'd be ok with him at our house for a while? I'm not so much worried about him, but her. Can a 12 year old handle a one year old?
What are your thoughts?
Appeal, For Love’s Sake
7 years ago
7 comments:
So I don't really have alot of experience with sitters, but I did alot of babysitting when I was younger. You may have already thought of this but what about having her over while you are at home as well at first and maybe you could just work on things around the house or outside so that you are near but she is still the one taking care of him. Maybe then you would know if you feel comfortable leaving her on her own with Finnegan.
In my opinion, 12 is kind of young unless she's a mature 12 and you are close by. I use 2 girls from our youth group (which is kind of easy for me because I'm a youth leader and so I know which girls I would trust with my kids.) My regular baby-sitters just went off to Calvin for their freshman year (sniff sniff) so now I'm starting over. I tried 2 girls last Friday night and they did ok but they don't have a ton of experience, which is why I have them tag-team (makes it easier when there are 2 little ones to watch for them.) There are 2 other girls who are sisters that I want to try as well, but they have busy schedules. I look at: How do they react in a tense situation (which is easy for me to see when I spend one night a week with them at youth group), do they get scared being home alone by themselves, would other people (including their parents) recommend them? Good luck! Have fun moving to the next question, which is: How much do you pay a baby-sitter? Ugh.
Megan and Andrea - Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking of inviting her over so that we can at least get to know her, because I don't know her at all. Her mom (i think) runs the nursery and suggested her, so I take that as a compliment to her. Also, I was surprised when she said she was twelve. I actually thought she was about 14 or so. Her age was the thing that bothered me to begin with. So before I go too far, we will definitely want to get to know her.
Any other suggestions from other moms???
Being a mom of six, grandmother of three, I have a "few" suggestions. In our area, the unwritten law is 13 years old for leaving a child on their own - let alone in charge of another child. I like to get a sitter that can drive - saves me taking her home after a long evening. Maturity is a biggie for me. I don't just let anyone watch my children.
Luke, Emily, Erin, Betsey, Zachary & Elyse are turning out o.k. They weren't stunted by any of our sitters.
Just be careful - you never know these days. Pray alot!
BTW, I'm Luke Rumley's mom.
I just tried to leave a huge comment, and my dial-up messed up, so it didn't work, and now I'm frustrated! So, I'll just say, I like Megan's idea of getting to know her in your home and observing her Finn. That was a good suggestion! Also, 12 sounds young to me, too, but I think I'm a wimp, 'cause I hesitate to let anyone I wouldn't consider an "adult" to watch our kids. Probably silly, since I definitely babysat as a teenager. I've been exceedingly thankful for our church family acting as family and being willing to babysit (since our families aren't in town). I hope your church family blesses you the same way!
I agree, 12 does sound pretty young. I have friends that use their 13 year old niece, but obviously they know her and trust her. However, I didn't want to use her when she was going to watch Jayce along with their kids. Too many kids and too young. Maybe go through the church again - nursery workers that are a little bit older. I like the idea of them being able to drive. Personally, I've been very lucky as of yet. Only family members have watched Jayce and Grayson hasn't been left with anyone yet.
On another note, you asked about Jayce's hip problems. He was diagnosed with congenital hip displaysia (sp??) just after he was born. The hip joints haven't developed correctly in utero, and can become displaced (out of socket) when manipulated correctly. Ever seen the doctor check for hip clicks? This is what they are checking for. Anyway, because Jayce had it (and one of the contributing factors is breech position - although Jayce wasn't), I requested an ultrasound on Grayson just to be sure because of a family history. Long enough post now. :o)
Erin,
We use our next door neighbor who is just recently 13 as our sitter. When she was 12 her mom had to be home for her to babysit. She hasn't ever had both boys by herself yet, but she comes over everyday after school and helps me with the boys because she likes to-I'm not paying her when I'm home though. We don't hardly ever go anywhere, and she probably only sat for us 5 times in the last year. However, it is so nice to know that if I have to be outside or come inside or walk to a neighbors she is perfectly capable of watching both boys at once for a few minutes. I started sitting by myself at 11 and I can't believe anyone let me! I was so young. I guess I"m kinda picky with my own kids...but we love Madie and are so blessed to have her next door. During our storm (see my blog) she had the boys quite a bit as we cleaned up and cooked outside and stuff. I feel very secure having her watch both boys though now because she is so patient and watchful. I'd agree with Megan and have whomever is going to watch your kids be with you around them so you can feel more comfortable with them.
Post a Comment