Wednesday, March 25, 2009

So the verdict is in...

Today I had an OB appointment for the baby! I'm currently 13 weeks along! Only 27 more to go! :) While at my appointment, the nurse gave me the handy dandy chart for me to follow with all the tests on them that I'll be doing and when they need to be done and what they are. It is very helpful! On it listed the blood test and the diabetes test and the ultrasounds. The last line on the chart said "Repeat C-Section". At first I thought perhaps this was a generic chart she just plugs that dates into, and hands out... but then I asked...

"So, what is the Dr's policy on c-sections? Does he allow vbacs or is he a "once a c-section, always a c-section" Dr?

Let me back up a minute... Since I had a c-section with Finnegan (due to his breech orientation) I had never discussed this issue with my doctor. He seems to be an "old fashion" guy so I thought he might have an "old fashion" idea of how it should work. And I didn't really know how I felt about going either way. I'd never had the extreme desire to birth a baby (like some women have) and yet, I know that you heal MUCH faster with a vaginal birth, than a c-section. And this being my second child, I knew I'd need to be back on my feet a little sooner than I was last time to help attend to the baby and my toddler. Although with my medical "history" I always feel more safe being in a controlled environment, especially when dealing with the blood thinners and the blood volumes. So in that light, a c-section is a bit more appealing to me. So, it all boiled down to I felt more drawn to the vaginal birth due to the time constraints I'll be under afterwards, but health wise - for LABOR ONLY, I feel more comfortable with a c-section. I knew the doctor would be able to help me make this decision...

Back to the story... the nurse told me that it is the hospitals policy to not allow vbacs. WOW!! Really? Well, that really did answer my question and solve the problem for me!!

When the doctor entered, we talked about it for a few minutes, and he gave me an excellent explaination as to why the hospital doesn't allow it... One that makes complete sense to me, and I agree with the hospitals decision. (I can go into detail later if any of you are really that interested). And actually, the doctor went on to explain that I'm not a great candidate for having a vbac. He explained that a perfect candidate for a vbac is a women who's body has proven that she can deliver a baby vaginally without any trouble... So someone who's first child was delivered vaginally, the second child was delivered by c-section and then she wants to try a vbac for the third child. Because my body hasn't proven itself to be able to safely deliver a baby (especially with the family history - Andrea pushed for 2 hours only to have a c-section because the baby was stuck) it is safer to have a c-section, again. So, that's what's planned.

He has it planned for week 39 of my pregnancy - unless I go into labor first. So, there's the news... C-section it is.

Oh, and the countdown is on... On May 6th, we'll know if this baby is a boy or girl :) Anyone wanna take a guess of what we're having??'

-------------------------------

Also - please keep our friends Angie and Ernesto in your prayers. They had a very successful revival this weekend, but have received more threats from those who wish to silence them. Please continue to pray for their safety and their protection from evil!!

5 comments:

Megan said...

It is amazing how many hospitals and Drs won't allow vbacs. My 2nd C was SO much better than my first and I really felt pretty good by the time I got back from the hospital so the recovery time was shorter for me the 2nd time around. I can't wait to find out what you are having! I think girl.

Anonymous said...

Girl. . . I feel it in my bones.

Jenney said...

I think you are going to have another boy. My aunt and uncle had three girls, and of the two girls that have children, they have 5 boys between them (1 girl too, but she is the youngest of the 6). SO because your mom and dad had 3 girls, I'm thinking they need lots of grandsons...and Andrea already has a girl...so My guess is definatly boy.
When I read "the verdict is in" I thought that perhaps you had decided on the bed thing...keep us posted!

Jessica said...

I recovered faster with my second c-section than my first too. Oh and I'm going to guess boy.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about why they won't let you have a VBAC. Is it because of tearing or because of your blood clotting condition. I suppose that I would opt for getting to choose my baby's birthday, if possible (incidently, I got to with Grayson, because we induced early). I do have a friend that did a VBAC, and things went splendidly. Hmm... I'm feeling a boy too. But wouldn't it be fun if you had a cute little girl!! I soooo want a girl!
Melissa