Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sleep-talker!

It was made very clear to me when I married my husband that he comes from a family of sleep-talkers. Two of his siblings do this, and his brother even tried to jump out a window once in college. So I'm fully aware that the talking, and sometimes walking is possible. His talking started early in our marriage and it wasn't really anything too crazy... he'd talk about dolphins or other wierd bugs in his sleep. On our recent family vacation, it was fun to compare stories with the siblings spouses. One thing was a common thread... they did it when they'd been working hard at something or concentrating a lot.

So needless to say, the first 7 years of my marriage has been FULL of sleep-talking and now sleep-walking stories, because Ken's been working on TWO Master's programs since we've been married (and conquered many video games).

But, it is getting pretty bad. These sleeping events normally only happen about once every couple of weeks and are fairly minor. Sometimes he's getting out of bed for no reason. Other times, he's searching in the bed for bugs or other vermin. But this week, I've had two visits from the "sleeping husband" and it's really weighing on my nerves. I tend to wake up really easily anyway, and now that I'm a mommy, I do even more. And now that I have a husband who is hovering over me at any point of the night just doesn't settle with me. Two nights ago he picked up the phone and was turing it on and off and then telling me he couldn't tell what time it is. Sometimes these things are harmless, but other times, you just never know what he's gonna do. And the word is that he won't be done with this Master's program until June. So I've told him he can sleep on the couch if he'd like, or take it easy on the work. He works so hard during the day at work, and then comes home and takes no down time. Although I'm glad to intercept the craziness, I'm sure it will give me a heart attack one of these days!!

2 comments:

Adminswife said...

I feel sorry for you. I am on the other end of the deal. I am the one that sees things in the night, and my husband comes to the rescue. Thankfully, he goes right back to sleep - so it doesn't disturb him too much. I see men in the hall (I can't see the hall from my side of the bed - but I see the men anyway). I hear people talking (we live on a very quiet street with houses only on one side). I see people looking in the windows (my bedroom is on the second floor - other than Luke, I don't know anyone tall enough to see in our windows, besides the shades are pulled). So, I feel sorry for you! Tell Ken to stop eating pizza before bed, he will have less walking dreams.

Jenney said...

Oh I am so glad I do not have the only husband that does things in his sleep. Only be so so glad your hubby doesn't attempt to ARREST people in his sleep. Often I end up being the victim GRRR.