Thursday, February 5, 2009

Spinning to Death

This morning, I unintentionally slept through my alarm and missed my mornin workout with Shawnta. She called at 6:15am and I was still in bed, sleeping soundly next to my hubby :) Warm and cozy and then the phone rings! CRAP! My dear friend knows I've been having trouble sleeping and she grants me a pass to go back to bed... But to make up, we'll go to a class at the Gym tonight.

We've been talking about doing some extra classes at night for a couple of weeks and it just hasn't seemed to work out withour husband's schedules and others. So, we just haven't made it. We decided that we wanted to do a spinning class. As I was leaving, Ken asked "what class are you going too?" I said "a Spinning class". "A spinning wheel class?" HAHAH!! No, not a spinning wheel. We weren't going to do crafts, but work out!! :) Silly Husband.

We got to the class, and I've never done one of these calsses before simply out of fear. They always seemed like it might be fun, but I never really wanted to jump in and try. Shawnta's been to the class before, so it was no big deal to her! So we went. We were two of 6 in the class. The teacher helped us get our bikes ready and then the class started. By about 5 mintues in, I was dying! Literally!! When we were 15 minutes in, she began intervals - which was the point of the whole class. We'd push as hard as we could for 20 seconds, and then relax for 10 seconds. We did that 7 times in a set and did 3 sets. Needless to say, half way through the first set, i was really dead. I decided that as long as I kept peddling and keeping my heart rate up, I was doing my body some good. So, at 4 minutes to 6pm, I decided that I'd stop at 6pm. I really couldn't take any more and really didn't want to do it anymore. Shawnta kept checking in on me and making sure that I was doing ok. i'd come in with a headache, and it went away, but it was back now, and every 20 and then 10 seconds, the gal leading the class would yell into her microphone. OH!!! STOP THE YELLING ALREADY!! :) But I returned to my original thought, as long as i wasn't dying and I just kept peddling at the speed I could manage, I was doing ok.

Afterwards, I thought I would faint. And then remembered I hadn't eaten dinner and lunch was more than 4 hours ago. Luckily, Shawnta had some raisins in her purse - oh, the benefits of having kids :)

On the way home, we decided that we probably wouldn't do that class again. Shawnta enjoyed it, but we were reminded how mind over matter it is, and we would enjoy other ways of kicking the pounds rather than putting ourselves through bootcamp, and having our own personal "Jillian". :)

2 comments:

Jenney said...

I e-mailed this in reply to your comment...and then I didn't know if I can just reply to the e-mail that you had written or not...whatever, so if this is the second time you got this, sorry!

I honestly don't mind the mess of the biscuits, with James we used to just strip him down and put him on a towel. I will be trying Lindsley's biscuits though, i'm always up for homemade!
Haven't heard anything on Megan yet...anxiously awaiting :o) It has been SO good to catch up with her again via blog/Facebook. She and I were so close up until the end of our senior year.
How is the working out going? HAHAHA, I wrote this before I knew about spinning class :o)

Deidra said...

I completely understand! Some ladies from our church and I are training for a half marathon. I run 6 days a week and strength train on 3 of them...it only leaves Sunday for rest, and some of the ladies in the group don't even want to take it off!!! Pounding your body into the ground kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? I'm thinking I'm going to have to come up with an alternate training plan--- my shins can't take it much longer! ;)

I've heard that spinning classes are killer!! I'm finding that I need to find something I actually enjoy doing for exercise, or I can't keep up with up-- no motivation. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that I was training for this race in a group, I'm sure I would have given up long ago! It sounds like you have a great work-out buddy. Keep up the good work!