Monday, November 9, 2009

H1N1??

Ok, Mommies - Are you giving (or have you given) your children the H1N1 vaccine? Will you be getting one yourselves?

I went for my 6 week check up at the OB today, and they were offering the vaccine to pregnant and post-partum patients. I had no idea I would be eligible, let alone, available to get one. I'd gone back and forth whether I would get one if I had the ability, and just didn't know. But today, I had the opportunity to get one, and did... I'm pretty ok with my position, because my doctor really wanted me to get it. I even posed the question to him that if he had a daughter who'd just given birth or was pregnant, if he'd press her to get it. He emphatically told me "yes". So, I was ok with it. I still am not sure if we'll have Finnegan get it if it becomes available to him...

What are your thoughts, mommies??

4 comments:

Jenney said...

You can post the e-mail (or was it Facebook??) message I sent if you want :o) I think it was kinda scatteredbrained though.

Sara said...

Hi, just saw your post and thought I would comment. I myself just had a baby (4 weeks ago) and my 18 month old "qualified" according to his doctor as high risk since he is between 6-36 months with an infant at home. I decided to give him the shot. He is doing great, it was last week. I have my 6 week check up soon and if it's offered, will probably get it. I've heard many opinions, but ultimately, went with my gut. It's just a vaccine. We've been getting flu vaccines for years and the H1N1 has been hyped up so much that we are all afraid of it. What ever you decide...Good luck! Y

C said...

We will not be getting it -- we most likely already had H1N1 a while back, but I wouldn't get it either way.
But we also do very few other vaccines, so that's just kind of our stance on vaccines.
I don't do the regular flu shot for my daughter either...I've only gotten it once myself when I worked in childcare...and I got the flu the following week:)
It's brand-new, and it just hasn't been tested enough to know the side effects for me to feel comfortable with it, especially for children. There are TONS of things in place to find out quickly if it causing issues, which is wonderful, but also lets you know that they really have no idea what will happen.
So that's my stance...but whatever you decide, you will decide it based on what's best for you and your family. I really think vaccines in general are a highly personal issue, and I certainly don't judge anyone for the decision they make after they've researched and thought it through:)

Andrea said...

Ultimately, every mom makes her own decision! In our household, we're turning it down. We never get the flu shot either and we never get the flu. However, we watch friends of our's and their kids get vaccinated for the flu and they always end up sick with some kind of stomach bug. We figure since our house has been vomit-free (besides morning sickness during prengnacy) we'll just keep on doing what we've been doing. I'm not a big anti-vaccine person, either - we do some and skip others, but I have a friend who is a dr. and he said if there is one vaccine you're going to skip, have it be the flu because it covers a very small portion of a large multitude of strands that are out there.