One of the options presented was for us to simply transfer for a short and definite amount of time, meaning that we wouldn't sell our home here in WA, but find someone to live in it while we were gone and rent an apartment in our new city. That got me thinking... how cool would that be? We would only be allowed to move a small amount of our belongings, not every ounce of what we have. So what would I take? I can't take all my kitchen gear, or ALL the kids toys, what would I take... Then it got me thinking, there are plenty of things that we have that we don't need.
How cool would it be to live with just the necessities? Not all the other junk that collects dust that we feel we MUST have. So, I've been sort of on a mission the last few days to go through those extra spaces in our home and get rid of the old stuff, either donate or toss things that we don't use and don't need. Why do we have all of this storage space in our house, and yet, never touch the things that are in them? Because we think we might need them "one day"?? I know I will never live in a spotless house, or a house without knick-knacks. But could I live with less... junk... less stuff? Could we live without those things that cludder our spare places and make us realize that we simply have not just enough but really have too much?
4 comments:
We have totally been going through this too! It feels so good, yet can be so hard to get rid of "stuff". GOOD JOB!
Would you be moving to THE East Coast, or just more this direction?
Jenney - yes, we would be moving to the east coast... almost literally :) So we'd go past MI, but we'd be much closer to MI than we are now :)
Wow ... what news! Sounds exciting and I can't wait to hear more. I just had to comment because I'm in the SAME MINDSET nearly exactly in regards to all of our things and "junk." I'm in a real nesting mode right now so I know that's contributing to it. We have lots of space here but we're not utilizing it very well and it's so energizing to me when I start thinking about being smart with our possessions and only keeping what we really need/use most. When we get together for our playdate we'll definitely have to talk strategies for organizing, purging/donating and living with less. I love the topic!
Way to inspire, Erin! I have thoughts like these all the time and after reading this I'm motivated to go through my house room by room!
Post a Comment