My Black Friday started late on Thursday night. Last year, a friend and I started going early to the sales on Friday morning. This year, with some of our "stops" planning to open at midnight, we thought about going at midnight instead of 5am on Friday. Because the stores had never opened that early, it was kind of a tough call whether or not we should go... would more people stay up late and come in at midnight, or would people sleep until 3 and go in then to beat th 5am crowd? We decided to make a run for it at midnight, and see what would happen. As we approched our only stop for the midnight run (Toy's R U), we realized that we were not alone in our attempt to save a few bucks. However, we were not the crazy ones, as we drove past those, standing in the rain, wrapped around the building, still 20 minutes AFTER the store opened. There were probably 500 people waiting in the vacanity outside the buiding, and my friend said she saw that the building and registers were packed inside!! We decided to drive around the building and bypass this stop. We did however drive around the building to find shoppers waiting at midnight for the 5am opening of Target and the 3am opening of Old Navy. All waiting in the rain too! Man, I am all up for a good deal, but waiting in the rain, pushes me a little too far. No Thanks!
I returned home to my nice warm bed where my husband and baby were waiting for me. Although I was not able to fall asleep quickly (even though I hadn't slept much the past two nights, and was up ALL day on Thanksgiving). My mind was reeling about what I might find at my next stop around 6am and what my game plan would be.
At 6am, I woke up (although my sweet baby hadn't yet) and quickly dressed for another outing to Target, less than 2 miles from our home. As I approached the parking lot, it was full, I could tell. So I opted to park in a smaller lot on the side of the building and walk around. I had my pick of the spots there. I walked in to several long lines of people waiting to purchase items, and not one cart in sight! I found a man in line waiting with 8 DVD's in his cart. I offered him my basket in exchange for his cart. He obliged!! What a nice man! There was yet another line as I made my way back to the toys/electronics area. I found many of the items I was hoping to purchase. Overall, I made two purchases on Friday and one on Saturday. I was lucky to get most of my shopping done, although I do have several items still to purchase. I made out well. I purchased $340 worth of merchandise, and save $240 and got back $25 worth of Target gift cards for my purchases. Not too bad!!
4 comments:
I was a crazy one waiting in the rain...but the stuff I got was gone within 20 minutes of them opening :o) Did you see anyone out that early with babies/small children? That made me mad!!!!
I almost went to Toys-r-us for the Little Tike cart, but I couldn't find a friend will to go with me and our TRU is in a seedy part of town where you don't want to go alone. My decision to not go was made easier when Target had the $30 Play Wonder wood shopping cart that matched the girls kitchen for $12 last week.
Instead I went to Target for all our family gifts, I got everything I needed. However I was dissappointed with their toy sales, did you buy any toys? What did you get Finn?
Oh and Jenny--I was behind a mom at Target with her 18mo old--she was yelling at her to behave too! It made me so mad, if I was a braver soul I would have said something. I mean come on it was 5am, plus I think she was sick!
I was happy with the things that I got at Target... mainly games for Finnegan and a Buzz and Woody Dolls. Although, Target didn't match my TRU doorbuster deals like I thought they would. Finn got Cootie, and Don't Break the Ice also got him Memory.
I want to get him one more thing from Santa... Perhaps a Sit n Spin or Small basketball hoop (like Little Tikes). But haven't decided yet.
Oh, yes girls, I saw people out with kids. I was more appalled by the people who had their kids out at midnight on Thursday rather than those who had them out on Friday morning (as the kids I saw out were probably up before their parents) :) And those I saw out were out after 6:30am.
We always go Black Friday shopping with my husband's parents...and, yes, we're one of those crazy families who takes their child along.
Last year, she was 3 months old, and just slept in the Moby wrap on me the entire time...we were in line at 4:30, and she woke up to nurse right before we had to leave anyway. It worked out great.
This year, she's 15 months old, and she came along with us yet again. She was a happy camper the entire time...running around outside with me while the rest of our family held our spot in line and then riding in the stroller, walking, and riding on Daddy's shoulders inside. It was great!
Then she and I hunkered down for a lovely nap together when we got home...honestly, I understand why some people would be appalled, and we probably won't always do it with her...it'll get to be too much for her. But when she wakes up at the right time to nurse anyway (still nurses at 15 months), it's an easy choice to say "Let's go do our fun family tradition that we do once a year!" It won't kill them to have to be up that early once a year...or maybe twice, if you ever have to catch a 6 am flight to see family across the country like we sometimes do:)
I agree with you, Erin. I would never take her out at midnight for shopping...again, a red-eye flight? Been there done that...you do what you have to do:) But for shopping? No. Getting her up in the morning when she's already had 8+ hours of sleep...yeah, that we do:)
Post a Comment