Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Mother's Weekend???

So, I was pretty excited for my first Mother's day. Last year, I was pregnant and enjoyed a day hosting some friends for lunch. This year we were planning to do the same at their home and a short outing to a Seattle Cupcake place for some signature cupcakes. Well, all of this was our plan until an hour or so ago.

Ken came home from work feeling ill. He was pretty pale and said that his stomach was hurting as well as come achy joints. After resting on the couch for about an hour, he decided that he needed to sweat off some of his illness, and mow the lawn. Yes, I did say mow the lawn. I begged him not to do it and told him I could do it and he said no. He would do it and he was convinced it was the best thing to do. After picking up the poo in the yard, and mowing the front and back yard, he cleaned the mower (as he always does) and returned for a quick shower. About the same time, I was putting Finnegan to bed, who was very cranky. He didn't want to be put down, or lay down for that matter. Come to find out, he's teething again. After doing my best to console the baby, I returned to our master bath where I would look for my dear husband. The shower had been turned off for sometime, and I didn't see him in our bedroom getting ready for bed. I then looked in the bathroom, and didn't see him. He was still in the shower. Standing with his hands on his knees, with a mess in the bottom of the shower... Oh, my dear one was sick. Real Sick. We got him cleaned up and into bed, where he was freezing, even with a full set of PJ's on, the duvet and another comforter.

This is the second time I've ever seen him this sick in our 13 years together. The first time it was food poisoning, and we were on vacation with my family. Today, is number two. And with the way the flu is on around us, we'll all be sick within the week and it will last several days. Oh, I don't look forward to it. I do hope that I don't get it, and more than that, that Finnegan doesn't get it. I thought tonight he might have it, but he doesn't have a fever or anything... just cranky.

Well, I suppose that my first mother's day will consist of resting at home, and showing my true colors as a mom... Taking care of a teething baby and a very ill husband. And, I will prove to be the best mom, if I can do all of that AND not get sick too :)

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh Erin I will be praying that everyone will get well and stay well in your family. I guess if nothing else your first Mother's Day will be memorable! Happy Mother's day!

Anonymous said...

Erin, I love seeing your good attitude despite the circumstances! I hope Mothers Day turned out to be a GREAT one!
Chaeli :)