Oh, so here's the question... What do you think about the new Speedo suits that our USA Swimming teams (men and women) are wearing this year? News is that these new suits made by Speedo have been designed to reduce drag and float a bit. A "non-scientific" test was done by a local show, called Evening Magazine about the make of the suits and they found that they did make the swimmers swim faster. And you'll also notice that many of our swimmers are not just breaking but demolishing world and olympic records. Could it be because of the suits?
Also, I heard something that the breaking of the records also has something to do with the pool depth and the "spillage" of the pool that causes less terbulance, along with a different "rope" material between the swimmers.
And then, there's the can of worms called, Sports Enhancement Drugs...
What are your thoughts?
Appeal, For Love’s Sake
7 years ago
3 comments:
See, I've been struggling with the same thoughts. I mean, are they good because of sheer talent? Or, are they good just because they have this fancy, shmancy swimsuit. I'm hoping, of course, that my buddy Michael Phelps is NOT using drugs, that would be awful. And while I'm not sure I agree with swimsuits that are all technical and stuff, I must say that I enjoy them much more than the traditional speedo...you know, like they wore in the 80s. :)
A swimsuit can help a swimmer be a little faster, but not drastically - that is all from hard training and dedication. I know this from having swum competitively and having a dad who is a swim coach. Drug testing has been much more strict this year as well, so I don't think drugs have anything to do with it either. I think we are watching amazing swimmers who train their butts off! Not quite sure about the pool stuff - I'll have to ask my dad about that one ;)
Jen - Thanks for the comment. I didn't know that you swam competitively. That's awesome. I think you're right... they have trained and are at the top of their game. I heart the USA Swim team!
Post a Comment