Sunday, August 17, 2008

Michael Phelps

He's amazing!! I can't even believe the outcome of last nights race... Even thought I knew the outcome before watching the race, I still had butterflies that the US Men's team wouldn't beat the others. (That's the kind of crappy thing of living on the west coast, the outcome of games, reality tv and other sporting events normally are broadcast 3 hours later than the east coast. So last night, I was promptly advised by CNN Breaking News that Michael Phelps had won his 8th gold medal... That was at 9pm PST, but his race didn't run here until 11pm PST.)

Anywho, it was an amazing race. I was pleased to see that he wasn't cocky about winning but that he was humbled. And that his teammates honored him, even though they'd done it together.

It was very exciting!!

Congrats to Michael Phelps!

I was listening yesterday to his "cridentials". Here is what I learned... If you didn't all ready know. Information recaped from: http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/showsports.aspx?id=SPOEN20080061934&ch=8/17/2008%209:04:00%20PM

  • Michael is 6'4" tall with a wing span of 6'7"
  • His lower body, interestingly, is shorter than that of an average man of his height.
  • Phelps has an upper body of a 6'8" person but his lower body seems to be of someone who is only 5"10", which also make the perfect plane in water.
  • He has double jointed ankels, that allow him to whip his feet as if those are flippers and break loose (although his feet ar 3 sizes smaller than those of Ian Thorpe, his great rival, that said he couldn't reach 8 medals, and watched from the stands in Beijing).
  • His unique constitution also produces less lactic acid than others which means Phelps takes less time to recover.
  • He consumes 12,000 calorie every day and trains 96 km every week.
  • Bob Costas mentioned that he's received over 10,000 friend requests on Facebook in the last week... including Will Smith, Miley Cyrus and other top celebrities (they all want to be Mike's friend!)
Isn't that fascinating?? Wow, he was really "made" for this greatness!


Michael Phelps


1 comment:

Megan said...

He really is amazing! I can't imagine eating 12,000 calories a day! Don't get me wrong I think eating like half of that would be fun, but that is really ALOT of food.