Ok, so not the discipline that I'm dealing with my child... well I suppose these thoughts could be applied to that as well. But today, after a discussion with my sister, I've been thinking about discipline. I've mentioned to my work out partner, in the last couple of weeks, how I get so frustrated that things just can't be easy. It can't be easy to lose weight, and its not easy to keep a budget and it's not easy to maintain all the relationships that are important to us. Why is it so hard?
My friend reminds me that losing weight, keeping a budget, even being a dedicated Christian, is all about that, BEING DEDICATED. Just because I work out once, doesn't mean I'm gonna lose 20lbs. And just because I think about handling my money right, doesn't mean I'll save every extra penny. I have to make intentional plans and take intentional steps towards those goals.
From my last post, you can tell that I've been really frustrated with my weight loss progression over the last 3 weeks. I'm frustrated that my body thinks that it's being starved to the limit that it refuses to lose any more weight. WHAT??? I woke up this morning and almost called my friend and cancelled on her... because really. What's the point? My body's not responding to the work outs and I'm not losing any weight.
But in the same light, when I hit a plateau in my relationships with my husband or Jesus, do I just give up, and go back to doing MY thing. I would hope not. I still have to facilitate conversations and get to know them and make an effort to make the relationship work. The same I feel goes for weight loss. You must find ways around the plateau. I need to work around it and take a few extra steps to get myself over the hump. UGH!!!
Why doesn't working out, relationships, budgeting, etc, seem to get any easier the more you do them? It seems that there are also days that you just "fall off the wagon". You don't watch that budget for one week and your REALLY in the hole. Or you don't watch those calories or don't work out (or maybe both) for a whole week, and you've gained 3 lbs! Or what about those relationships that you don't mend, or give anything towards, and then you get back together with that person and realize that there's something "missing".
Discipline is what ties all these things together. I don't think that at any age, or any experience, discipline gets any better. I remember going to school and getting so frustrated at the people who school came so easy too. They could hear a lecture once and remember every word. Or writing that paper was just so easy for them. I don't think that has to do with discipline. I don't know what controls that, perhaps just God given talent. And we each have a part of that, but its all in different areas... But we each need discipline in particular areas of our lives. And discipline isn't easy. And most definitely not fun! But when you're disciplined, you are a more in depth person. It also seems that it never gets easier. There is never a point that you reach with any discipline where your not effected by a slip up. I suppose that's part of being human!!
Appeal, For Love’s Sake
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment