Monday, January 26, 2009

Odds and Ends...

So just a few notes for the day, before I go to sleep...

  • I miss my family today. I wish I could be at home helping my parents move into their new house.
  • Finnegan's been trying my patience the last few days with the hitting and throwing of toys. I take away at least 5 different toys each day because of throwing. Today, I even took away all the blocks because he was throwing them. And the hitting... Oh, who taught this kid to hit?? Each time, we go to time out. Today we did 3 time outs in a row, because he'd get to the end of a time out and he'd hit me again. Oh!! But then later in the day, I was making dinner and he just walked over to the time out corner and just stood there for 10 seconds (we normally stand 20-30 seconds (and I count outloud) when he's in trouble). Then he just went about his business. :)
  • Ken spent some time with Finnegan tonight which was really nice. They played and picked up toys together. I always feel better about my life when the toys are picked up when Finnegan is sleeping :) I HATE stepping over the toys when no one is playing with them!
  • I've hit a plateau with my weight loss, and it's really bothering me. I've been hovering at the same weight for 2 weeks now (after I gained 2lbs back). I just can't get them off and it makes me mad. I know that I'm working hard, but it's just a reminder that sometimes it's just not enough. Ugh!!! Frustration, for sure!! And disappointment!! But hopefully the weight will come off... one day!
  • Ken is so busy with his school work. I can't tell you how excited I will be when he graduates. We'll just have time to sit together, and he won't get home and go straight to the computer and stay there all night. We might even go to bed at the same time for once in A LONG TIME!!! Oh man. He's so dedicated and I really appreciate it. And I know the project is time consuming and really important, but I am just excited to be married to someone who is only working, not working and going to school too -- seeing that he's been in school ever since we've been married :)
Ok, enough complaining and whining. Just a bit down today, I suppose.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Sorry to hear that you are down today. Just think about all of your blessings, make a list if you have to, sometimes we tend to forget how much we really have until we are reminded of it!
As for Finnegan, he will out grow the hitting phase, he sounds like he is testing his limits, and you are responding perfectly to him, keep up the good work!P.S. I know you do not know me, I came across your blog from Luke and Lacey's blog. I enjoy reading your blog because you remind me of myself when I was a young mother! Have a blessed day, and chin up!

Kim M said...

Isn't it amazing that no one has to "teach" your son to be naughty? Need proof we are born with a sin nature? Stay strong and consistent, you'll never regret it. Be sure to enjoy the sweet times with Finnegan so you can make it through those tough times!
Kim Mahan

Jenney said...

Hang in there girly! Things will get better.
About the throwing of toys...we finally had to give in and make something ok to throw. Boys want to throw. Period. And you're not going to stop it, so when you can't beat em, join em. We laid some VERY clear rules about what could be thrown, where, and the helped so much. I was really scared to try this method because I was afraid saying "yes" to something, would mean "yes" to everything. Now don't get me wrong, we still have some throwing occasionally, but NOTHING like what we used to have. He can throw a sponge ball into a bakset in our living room and ROLL a soccer ball with another person in the living room. He can also toss a stuffed animal if there is someone to play catch with him.
If he throws something else, it is put where he can see it and not get it and told he can have it back the next day...sorta a visual reminder.
In the basement he has some of those blow up balls (the cheapies from Wal-Mart in the big bins) that he can throw and kick or whatever because he's not going to break anything.
We have a no balls in the kitchen ever rule. You even carry one in there and it is gone. I worry about it landing on the stove.
I don't know if this helps you or not. (James JUST threw a Roll-a-Round and I JUST took it away...he pouted and then told Matt "I throwed ball and ball up there...no ball now" literally as I'm typing this it happened)

Erica said...

I love ya Ern. I almost called you Sunday. I should've. I can relate to the timeout toddler thing... It gets frustrating... and for me causes self doubt. I wonder if I'm disciplining enough, too much, too weakly, too harshly. This is a tough phase I think!