Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Finnegan meets the Coffee Table


Here are some photos of Finnegan's "run-in" (literally) with the coffee table leg. Today, he was playing and watching the dogs run around. He was on his knees and I think he was attempting to stand up, and he feel into the coffee table leg. Immediately, he started crying and I rushed over to him, because I knew it was a bad fall. I scooped him up quickly and tried to comfort him and he was crying much harder than I'd heard him in a long time (as we are in the days of lots of falls, bumped heads and slips). I tried to lean back to see where he'd hit himself, and then I noticed it, this HUGE goose egg on his forehead. I went quickly over to the freezer to get a cold pack, but knew he wouldn't keep it on his head. I picked up my phone to call a friend who lives close. She's like a mom to me, and I knew she could look at it and tell me if I should take him in. I called her, and there was no answer. So I called her daughter to see if she was at her house. As I began to talk to Shawnta and tell her what happened and I began to get panicky. She was quick enough to pull out the "What to expect: The Toddler Years" book, and flip through the first aid section. I pulled my book out too, but couldn't find a darn thing!! She read that perhaps I should take him in to the doctor. So I quickly put our shoes on and got us in the car and over to the walk-in clinic.

We got there within 10 minutes of the accident and waited to be seen. While we waited, Theresia, Shawnta's mom arrived to wait with us. She was so supportive and helpful. The doctor saw us and said that although he looked ok, he wrote up his accident as a mild concussion without the loss of consciousness. He was acting ok, and eating a bit, but it was right at nap time, and I wasn't sure if I should put him down and wake him up each hour... I just wasn't sure.

The doctor sent us home with a list of "what to watch for" and a good sense of security that our little boy would be ok, dispite how ugly this bump looks. :)

We went home, he feel asleep while I was giving him his medicine and slept for 3 hours (nap). After the nap, he came down and asked for milk, went to the pantry and pulled out the cherrios and sat on the carpet with his milk and cherrios. It was the cutest thing!! :)

Here are some more photos:

From above. You can see the bump on the left hand side. These were taken about an hour after it happened.


And the side view.



And from the other side...


2 comments:

Kim M said...

It's so hard on the parents when a little one gets hurt - I always felt I would rather error on caution about whether to take children to the doctor to be seen in an accident. It sure looks sore. Nice job mom!
Kim Mahan

Kimberly said...

HEHE, I remember those days of "bruises" and "bumps" on the head, they are so scary at first and so worrisome to us mothers!
I just read your post below too, and I hear you on the discipline part! It is all about pressing on and moving forward. Life in general is all about discipline, we have to be disciplined to read our Bibles every day, disciplined with our children to be consistent and follow through,disciplined to go to church every week, etc. Stay true to your plans, and keep pressing on. Remember, things dont happen in our timing, but Gods' timing is always perfect!