Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Will we survive the week??

Already, this week we've met the challenges of having a toddler (ok, he's not a full blown toddler yet, but he's well on his way).

Monday: Finn loves the fridge and the pantry and loves it when the doors are open to show the goods inside. Lately, I try to open it as little as I can, because I have to focus on getting him out of the way so that I can close the door when I'm done. While making his breakfast on Monday, I opened the fridge to put the applesauce back, and as I swung the door open, he made a mad rush for the door, and they collided. Oh, I felt so bad. He had a little mark down the middle of his forehead, and on the side of his nose. And I was so paranoid, I woke him up from his nap early to make sure he didn't have a concussion. Luckily, the only thing we had was a cranky boy from not having a long enough nap.

Tuesday: We were a bit more careful with the doors on Tuesday but had a new encounter that I'd never really had before... Finn loves goldfish crackers. After lunch today, I gave him about 5 of them to munch on. Granted, he doesn't have molars yet, but he takes them between his 4 front teeth and munches them to pieces while eating them. Today, he didn't do that. He took the first one, bit off the tail and put the large "body" piece in his mouth. All of the sudden he made a face like he was throwing up. I leaned him forward to tap on his back a bit. And then pulled him out of his seat and walked him over to the sink, all while tapping his back encouraging him to cough. I think he dislodged it, and then lodged it again as he cried and then stopped and was trying to throw up again. Finally, he spit out the full goldfish cracker onto the floor. Oh, close call!! Needless to say, he didn't want to eat any more lunch right then, so we ate a larger dinner instead.

Later that night, daddy was to be watching him while I was making dinner. He crawled into the kitchen and was trying to open the cabinets under the sink. He got his little finger stuck under the cabinet while he was pressing the cabinet closed with the other hand. Poor baby!! Oh, how crappy it is when you can't figure out how you got yourself into that spot. Shortly after that, he started choking again on something. Oh, MY!! Since I wasn't watching him, I had no idea what he might have put in his mouth or what he was near to figure it out. He choked a bit and then swallowed what ever it was. And unfortunately, daddy had no idea what it was. I'm sure if it was something indigestible, I'll know in a day or two.

Will we make it to Friday without making a full trip to the ER or emergency clinic?? Oh, Lord, I do hope so!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh Erin, I will be praying for you guys this week! We have definitely had similiar weeks when it seems impossible to make it through a couple of hours without injury. It is especially hard with such a little one!

Beth Bowers said...

Oh no! Well, I am sure you will make it to Friday, sans an ER trip. I guess I need to count myself lucky in these days where Sophie is still not yet mobile :)!